Saturday, December 6, 2008

Some Draft Insight...

By Garrett Barnes

I am back online as many of you probably now know and that of course means you will see something from me on Broncos Zone. Today though I thought I might add some draft insight seeing that I am, for lack of a better term, a draft junkie. For more of course you can visit Bronco Madness and its Draft Central.

First off I will tell you about the fabulous Safety situation that the Broncos have fallen into, draft wise of course. Back in 2007 there were some great Safeties all of which were first rounders. Sadly once you got past them there was nobody worthy of being drafted at Safety for another 3 rounds. That meant that if you needed a good Safety it would have to be a first rounder.

But this year the great thing is we have about two first round Safeties in William Moore from Mizzou and Taylor Mays from USC. I am a big supporter of William Moore who is to me the best Safety to be in a draft for ages. If we could get him we need to no matter what pull the trigger and get him immediately. Taylor Mays though in my opinion could be a bust very easily because he is a bit overrated.
The good thing about that though is that we have players about as good as Mays in the second and third rounds. They include Patrick Chung from Oregon, Rashad Johnson from Alabama, and the best sleeper in this years draft Louis Delmas from Western Michigan which is the same college Tony Scheffler went to.

Any of these players could start very quickly and solve the problem at Safety for the time being. I am glad that we have this depth because it will allow us to get someone great at Safety without having to spend the first pick of the draft on it. Then we could get a Defensive Tackle, a Halfback (If Shanny doesn't like Hillis permanently) or a Middle Linebacker.

A possibility is that Knowshon Moreno a Running Back from Georiga might drop very far and could be a great fit for the team. If that happened he would give us a good reason to pass over Safety in the first round and go for a big time back. Also some players that would be good would be Tyson Jackson or Peria Jerry. I am not a big Jerry fan but Jackson I like and they would both be big upgrades at D-Line.

I will be sure to give some more insight as we get closer to the Draft but until then I will see you soon!

Garrett Barnes is the co-blogger for Broncos Zone, he also is the Editor, Administrator, and lead Bronco Madness blogger.

No comments: