After four seasons with the Broncos, S John Lynch is going to explore other options.
Thursday, July 31, 2008
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Hamza Abdullah glanced to his left before a passing drill Thursday, failing to spy fellow Broncos safety John Lynch.
Abdullah was taken aback before reality suddenly hit him -- Lynch was no longer around.
"It was a weird feeling," Abdullah said.
Lynch, who's entering his 16th NFL season, received permission from coach Mike Shanahan to explore other opportunities.
Lynch's decision caught his teammates by surprise. Champ Bailey knew the nine-time Pro Bowler was discontent with his playing time, but not to this degree.
"I didn't see that coming," Bailey said. "But I understand how competitive he is and how much pride he has about what he does on the field. It sucks that he can't play every down, but that's what he wants to do. He wasn't happy with his role. I'm behind his decision all the way. I would love him to stay, but every guy has to look out for himself."
Lynch was told he'd get an opportunity to compete for a starting safety job when he took a pay cut this offseason.
But with the emergence of Marlon McCree, Lynch didn't see much time in the nickel or dime packages during the first week of training camp.
McCree understood Lynch's reasoning.
"It's how life is in the NFL," said McCree, who started all 16 games with San Diego last season. "John will go on and continue to have much success. I'm sure if he wants to play, he can still play at a high level."
Lynch's decline in playing time began last season as he started to come off the field on passing downs.
Still, he played every snap over the last three games and Broncos owner Pat Bowlen eventually talked him into signing a cut-rate deal in the offseason. Lynch was even allowed to train on his own back in San Diego, instead of with the Broncos.
He came into camp knowing there were no guarantees and even said he preferred it that way.
"I made the decision because I still love the game," he said of his return.
Because of that burning desire to play again, Broncos cornerback Domonique Foxworth could see Lynch hooking up with another team.
"He didn't go to all those Pro Bowls just because they liked him," Foxworth said. "He's a player and I'm sure he can fit in somewhere."
Abdullah said the reason he's nabbed the starting strong safety spot for the Broncos is because of Lynch's influence. He was always asking the veteran for advice, something Lynch was happy to dispense.
"If you poll all the starting safeties in the NFL, I guarantee they're going to mention John Lynch as one of the top-five safeties of all time," Abdullah said. "I guarantee you. He set the standard."
Lynch was not only a leader on the field, but in the Broncos locker room as well, where the team came to rely on his confident demeanor.
"Guys look up to him and respect him for what he's done and what he can do," Bailey said. "I have to step up a little bit without John .... He's a proven winner."
McCree felt the same way.
"I have nothing but respect and admiration for John Lynch," he said. "I was sorry to see him leave. I was learning a lot from him. He was a great veteran leader and we're going to miss him around here."
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Friday, July 11, 2008
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Kiel, 27, was driving alone after leaving a party at about 10:15 Friday night when he hit a wall in San Diego's upscale Scripps Ranch neighborhood and was thrown from the car, police Sgt. Alan Hayward said.
Kiel was barely breathing when paramedics reached him and he died about an hour later, Hayward said.
Friends had tried to keep Kiel from driving home from the party, Hayward said, and witnesses told police he appeared to be driving in the wrong direction when he crashed.
Police would not know whether Kiel had been under the influence of drugs or alcohol until toxicology tests were performed, Hayward said.
A second-round draft pick out of Texas A&M in 2003, Kiel played four years in the NFL from 2003-2006, all with the Chargers.
In February 2007 he pleaded guilty to felony and misdemeanor drug charges for shipping prescription cough syrup to Texas, the most significant of several scrapes with the law.
He was released by the team after his plea.
Kiel had been led off the practice field and arrested in the locker room by Drug Enforcement Administration agents in September 2006, suspected of shipping at least two parcels of prescription cough syrup, apparently to be mixed with soft drinks to make a concoction known as "lean."
The felony charges were later dropped after he completed community service, and he was serving three years probation for the misdemeanor charges.
He was cited for urinating in public outside a San Diego nightclub in January 2007, but the city dropped that charge.
By Jake GrilleyDenverBroncos.com
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.-- On August 2 the number of Broncos inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame will double and Denver fans still have the opportunity to see it in person.
Tickets are on sale now for the induction of the Hall of Fame's class of 2008 that includes Broncos legend Gary Zimmerman.
The enshrinement ceremony will be held Saturday, Aug. 2 from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. in Fawcett Stadium, located across the street from the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.
Tickets to the event are $27 for stadium seating and $55 for floor seating.
Zimmerman is one of the few players elected to two NFL All-Decade teams, 1980s and 1990s. He played five seasons with the Broncos, from 1993-97, and was also crucial in helping the Broncos win the franchise's first World Championship during Super Bowl XXXII.
The 6-foot-6, 294-pound lineman from the University of Oregon spent 12 seasons in the NFL and was elected to the Pro Bowl seven of those years. Zimmerman was named a first or second team eight times. He spent two seasons in the USFL and seven seasons with the Minnesota Vikings before coming to Denver in 1993.
Zimmerman joins defensive end Fred Dean, cornerback Darrell Green, wide receiver Art Monk, cornerback Emmitt Thomas and linebacker Andre Tippett as the 2008 Pro Football Hall of Fame enshrinees.
Tickets for the event can be purchased online at Profootballhof.com or by calling 1-800-913-9788.
The Broncos on Wednesday signed three players whom they selected in the 2008 NFL Draft. The club signed running back Ryan Torain, defensive tackle Carlton Powell and linebacker Spencer Larsen.
Torain averaged 93.8 rushing yards per game and 5.4 yards per carry in two seasons at Arizona State University after transferring from Butler Community College. In 19 career games at Arizona State, Torain rushed 333 times for 1,782 yards with 12 touchdowns and caught 25 passes for 305 yards with five scores.
Powell started 13 games in each of his final two seasons at Virginia Tech University, helping the Hokies rank no worse than fourth in the nation in yards per game and points per game allowed during those campaigns. He appeared in 52 career games at Virginia Tech, totaling 107 tackles, 6.5 sacks, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble.
Larsen was a two-time All-Pacific-10 Conference choice at the University of Arizona, where he finished his career ranked 15th in school history with 312 tackles. He played 44 career games for the Wildcats, totaling 312 tackles, nine sacks, two interceptions, 12 pass breakups, eight fumble recoveries and five forced fumbles.
The Broncos have now signed four of their nine selections from the 2008 NFL Draft.
For the full story, click here.
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Friday, July 4, 2008
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Lynch and Bly (above)
Selvin Young (above)
Older brother of Boss, Champ (above)
Donald Andre Bly (above)
Keary Colbert (above)
rookie LT Clady (above)
Our schedule is on our side: View Regular Season Schedule
Koutouvides, Niko a free-agent signed MLB will be starting at LB along with Bailey, Boss and Williams, D.J..
Bly, Dre' signed with the Broncos last off-season and in his first season with the team he racked up five pics! 8-time Pro BowlerBailey, Champ will be on the side of him. And Lynch, John will be backing them up at Full Saftey, former Charger McCree, Marlon will be across from him at strong saftey. So our secondary is set to go to say the least.
Dumervil, Elvis is going into his third year in the NFL and has already sacked the QB 20.5 times! Robertson, Dewayne was traded from the Jets for one of our 2009 draft picks, he had 4.0 sacks last year and is expected to do well at DT for the Broncos. Our D-line has some questions but I think it will come through.
Marshall, Brandon---enough said! Free-agent signed Jackson, Darrell will also be on our WR squad this year and will be fighting for second string with off-season signed Colbert, Keary . Parker, Samie also will be in the mix along with rookie Royal, Eddie .
O-line: We got Nalen, Tom and Hamilton, Ben coming back and Wiegmann, Casey to back up Nalen . Rookie LT Clady, Ryan will start across most likely from Pears, Erik . Our line should not have a problem giving Cutler, Jay lots of time.
Our runing backs are crazy again this year, Young, Selvin should start. We picked upPittman, Michael and drafted rookieTorain, Ryan , and we have last year rookie Hall, Andre .So we are all ready to run over some "D"!
Scheffler, Tony cought five touchdowns last year, he will be doing the catching while Graham, Daniel will be smashind out blocks to clear the way for our HBs.
The team looks great, and the season looks like it'll be a great one.
July 3: Brett Favre's family spoke out about rumors of Favre's desire to return to the NFL. "I think it's 50-50," Favre's brother, Scott Favre, said. "There's no doubt he can play. He's in good shape, he's working out, we know he can still play, he's healthy, so, if he did, it wouldn't surprise me." More
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
The paper reported that Favre sent a text message saying there’s “no reason” for a media frenzy.
ESPN reported that an unidentified Packers source said the 38-year-old Favre told coach Mike McCarthy in the past two weeks that he has the itch to play.
“The Packers have no reaction,” team spokesman Jeff Blumb told The Associated Press.
Favre’s agent, James “Bus” Cook, didn’t return a message seeking comment. Packers general manager Ted Thompson and McCarthy were on vacation.
Favre retired March 6 after a 17-year career.
Cornerback Al Harris said on ESPN’s “NFL Live” that Favre made similar comments to him.
“I know he has the itch to come back and play,” Harris said. “If he will or not, I don’t know.”
The Packers plan to use Aaron Rodgers as their starting quarterback for the upcoming season, and he’s been leading the team through organized team activities and minicamp.
Rodgers has been groomed to take over for Favre since being selected in the first round in 2005, but has played sparingly.
“Aaron is our quarterback,” Harris said. “Brett’s retired. But if he wanted to come back, there would be some guys who wouldn’t mind it. I would welcome him back with open arms.”
Favre has two years left on his contract at an average of about $12.5 million per season. The Packers placed him on the reserve-retired list in the spring so his salary does not now count toward the cap.
Favre’s commitment to retirement has been questioned since his announcement. That talk resumed in mid-June when Favre withdrew from the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship at Lake Tahoe, scheduled for July 11-13.
Tournament spokesman Steve Griffith said then that Favre had to miss the event because of a scheduling conflict.
When he retired, a teary Favre said, “I’ve given everything I possibly could give to this organization, the game of football, and I don’t think I’ve got anything left to give And that’s it. I know I can play. But I don’t think I want to.”
But less than two months later, he told reporters he might be open to returning if Rodgers was injured.
Favre, a three-time MVP, leads the league with 442 touchdown passes, 61,655 yards passing and 160 career victories. He started 253 consecutive regular-season games, more than any other quarterback in history. Including the playoffs, his streak stands at 275.
Rodgers, meanwhile, has stirred up controversy himself this week. In a Sports Illustrated article, the quarterback said he didn’t feel pressure to connect with fans the way Favre did.
“I don’t feel I need to sell myself to the fans,” he said in the article. “They need to get on board now or keep their mouths shut.”
Favre is considering coming out retirement, according to an ESPN report Wednesday.
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
See all those fans in that picture? They are dirty, filthy people who are running afoul of Arrowhead Stadium law and should be ejected and beaten with a railroad spike.
The Kansas City Chiefs have a "Fan Code of Conduct," which is essentially a list of rules that fans have to follow when they're attending a game at Arrowhead. In theory, it's not a bad idea, as you'd like your stadium to provide a friendly atmosphere for families and people who aren't drunken hooligans.
In practice, though, it might not be such a great idea, especially if the person responsible for coming up with the rules is an 85-year-old woman who teaches the 2nd grade and regards standing up as one of the evil things that young whippersnappers often do. Seriously, standing erect is the No. 2 item on the list of things that are prohibited:
• Standing and/or obstructing the view of other fans
Not only that, Pro Football Talk points out how seated fans can anonymously tattle on their upright counterparts:
The Chiefs also have set up a text-messaging system that allows fans who might be offended by behaviors like standing to report the situation to the powers-that-be.
Awesome. I hear they're even taking the extra step and including bed pans with every seat, so no one has to get up to use the bathroom. They're going to make the beer and peanut vendors crawl through the stadium on all fours. Also, as soon as you get to your seat and sit down, an usher's going to come by and inject you with a temporary paralytic.
Maybe I'm overreacting. The anti-standing policy might only be temporary. Maybe they'll lift the ban when the Chiefs can field an offense that might actually score a touchdown every now and then and might give fans a reason to stand. Maybe this is only the policy until Brodie Croyle improved or is replaced.
Still, it seems like an asinine, joyless, and dangerous policy. If standing is banned, we can't be far away from banning yelling, too, can we? I'm all for a friendly fan experience, but I'd also rather not turn Arrowhead into the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.
Gracias, KC Chiefs Football